• Home
  • Search
    •  
  • Login
    • Username: Password:

Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: University Admissions Process  (Read 7320 times)

Offline xxatti

University Admissions Process
« on: February 24, 2014, 02:36:37 am »
I'm interested in enrolling in film school in Russia, and was hoping someone might be able to explain how the admissions process works for foreigners. The schools I'm looking at are GUKIT in St. Petersburg, and VKSR and VGIK in Moscow. I guess my two main questions are:

1. Do all Russian universities accept foreign students?
2. Is the foreign student admissions process basically the same for all universities?

I've heard that foreign applicants must first complete a preparatory course before gaining full admission. Is this true? If anyone can provide specifics for the schools I mentioned above that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Femi

• Administrator
    • African online Community in Russia
Re: University Admissions Process
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 09:44:46 am »
Hi and welcome on here.

To answer your questions.

1. Most Russian universities accept foreign students.
2. The process is basically same for all universities. The difference may only be in the tuition fees.
3. It is true that foreign applicants must complete a Russian language (among other subjects)  prep course (usually between 9 months to a year) before gaining full admission. However, if the  language of taught is in English, then you may not need to go through this.
4. For specifics, best you contact the University/faculty you are interested in.
For GUKIT SPt,- See here for the contact page
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:48:59 am by Femi »
God is good!

Offline xxatti

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:52:01 am »
Thanks for the reply Femi. It seems the more I read the more confused I become. VGIK's website has the most info on foreign admissions, with a preparatory program designed especially for foreign students. GUKIT has a preparatory program, but it seems it's for Russian students, not foreign students like at VGIK. And VKSR has hardly any useful info at all on their website.

I'm assuming if I were to enter VGIK's preparatory program, then the certificate I receive upon completion would allow me to enter any film school in Russia. All of the schools have entrance exams, but it sounds like you can take entrance examinations at any university, and the results will be accepted by all. I'm emailing VGIK to verify this.

I also emailed GUKIT who said their admissions process for foreigners is the same as it is for Russians... which only makes things more confusing

Offline Femi

• Administrator
    • African online Community in Russia
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 09:05:22 pm »
Well this is the 'norm' in Russia and its very easy to get confused.
Usually foreigners will have to undergo a prep class for a year  (Russian Language etc) and thereafter enroll for the full/part time courses.

I'm assuming if I were to enter VGIK's preparatory program, then the certificate I receive upon completion would allow me to enter any film school in Russia.

Honestly I can't confirm the above but I think it is possible.

I also emailed GUKIT who said their admissions process for foreigners is the same as it is for Russians... which only makes things more confusing
This definitely cannot be true because you will need to submit a different set of documents to start with.
Besides, you will have to learn and pass the language test. But anyways, this is Russia and just about EVERYTHING is possible.  ;D
God is good!